Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - May 9, 2023
Salesforce Starts ‘Green Code’ Initiative For Lower Carbon Footprint
Salesforce launched a new initiative to help lower carbon emissions associated with the software development lifecycle called Green Code.
Green Code features sustainability best practices that help technologists, including UX designers, software developers, system architects and IT operations managers to reach net zero targets sooner.
The Sustainability Guide for Salesforce Technology provides recommendations for designing apps and writing code to have less of an impact on the environment via design & UX, architecture, development and operations that will use less energy.
Salesforce’s efforts to support sustainable IT practices include the creation of a metric called Carbon to Serve, which measures the emissions of its data centers relative to work performed by its applications. Since establishing the metric in 2020, Salesforce reached a 26% reduction and aims to continue reducing emissions in the future.
For example, Salesforce’s MuleSoft reduced its yearly public cloud infrastructure spending by 14% by optimizing strategies such as identifying and decommissioning underutilized systems and migrating storage to more energy-efficient alternatives.
“Sustainable engineering is good engineering and technologists can play a critical role in the reduction of global carbon emissions,” said Srinivas Tallapragada, President and Chief Engineering Officer at Salesforce in a statement. “With Green Code, we’re hoping to inspire software teams and the entire IT sector to prioritize sustainability, just as they do performance, security, and accessibility.”
- Salesforce Plans to Lower Emissions at Offices, Data Centers
- Salesforce to Buy RECs in Emerging Markets
- Salesforce Launches Carbon Credit Marketplace
- Salesforce Invest $100 Million for Carbon Removal Technologies
- Salesforce Launches Net Zero Cloud
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- IKEA, Destination: Net Zero Lead Net Zero Forum Agenda
- Coca-Cola Launches Sustainability-Focused Venture Capital Fund
- Seven Automakers Create EV Charging Network
- Smart Energy Decisions Announces Winners of Inaugural DEI Impact Awards
- Spotlight Sessions Set for Net Zero Fall