Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Industrial - October 2, 2023
BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
Bacardi, a privately held international spirits company, announced the opening of its new Combined Heat & Power (CHP) system in Puerto Rico, which will lower GHG emissions of the BACARDÍ rum brand by half.
The new CHP system replaces heavy fuel oil with propane gas, which shifts the site to cleaner energy. The system will generate 100% of the energy used at the campus, including the distillery, offices and the Casa BACARDÍ visitor center.
The 50% reduction in BACARDÍ rum’s GHG emissions is a significant step in reducing emissions globally for the family-owned company. Bacardi is committed to cutting 50% of its GHG emissions globally across the business by 2025. The company’s portfolio of premium brands includes PATRÓN® tequila, GREY GOOSE® vodka, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE®, DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky and many others.
“At Bacardi, we are committed to cutting our GHG emissions by reducing our energy consumption and switching to the most sustainable form of energy where we make our beloved brands. We are continuously exploring ways in which we can take more positive steps towards our ultimate goal of Net Zero across our sites,” says Edwin Zayas, Vice President of Operations for Bacardi Corporation in Puerto Rico, in a statement. “We are proud of the work we are doing in Puerto Rico, and across the globe, to be greener and cleaner with our energy.”
The BACARDÍ rum distillery also created biogas through the cleaning of wastewater, which then powers distillation and creates electricity. Over 60% of the distillery’s energy is generated this way.
The company constructed a new treatment system that helps clean the biogas and reduce environmental impacts, recaptured 95% of the heat generated during distillation to reduce the energy required, and developed a new project to capture CO2 from the fermentation process and supply it to the sparkling drinks industry on the island.
As part of its Corporate Responsibility program, Good Spirited, and in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, Bacardi has set a number of goals which it is committed to achieving by 2025. These global targets include the following:
- 50% cut in GHG emissions at Bacardi production sites;
- 25% cut in water consumption at Bacardi production sites;
- 100% key raw materials and packaging sourced sustainably;
- 100% of product packaging to be recyclable;
- 40% recycled content of product packaging materials; and
- Zero waste to landfill at all Bacardi production sites.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- US Steel Explores Expansion of Low-Carbon Products