Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - October 16, 2023
NY State Launches Plan to Expand RE Industry
Governor Kathy Hochul announced the release of a new 10-Point Action Plan to expand and support the growing large-scale renewable energy industry in New York.
The plan outlines a comprehensive set of actions to create a sustainable future for New Yorkers through the expansion of the state’s growing clean energy economy and renewable energy sector.
“Strong, continued support for expanding the renewable energy sector is critical to realizing the full potential of our green economy and protecting New Yorkers from the climate crisis,” Governor Hochul said in a statement. “This 10-point action plan underscores our commitment to addressing challenges that this sector is experiencing all across the country and hardens our resolve to ramp up our efforts in providing affordable and clean energy to all New Yorkers.”
The 10-point Action Plan released details a series of benchmarks and activities slated for the future:
- Action 1: NYSERDA will announce a historic suite of awards comprised of offshore and onshore renewable energy projects, along with major supply chain investments.
- Action 2: NYSERDA will address the directives issued in the October 2023 Public Service Commission (PSC) Order and will assess the impacts on its large-scale renewables contracted portfolio in an expedited manner.
- Action 3: NYSERDA will launch an accelerated renewable energy procurement process for both offshore and onshore renewable energy projects.
- Action 4: New York will continue to actively engage with the federal government to bring forward market solutions, from establishing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Loan Programs Office to access low-cost financing for large-scale renewable projects.
- Action 5: New York is investing in a historic buildout of transmission infrastructure across the state including $4.4 billion in 62 local transmission projects.
- Action 6: New York is supporting the establishment and growth of a supply chain ecosystem to help the market scale, gain efficiencies and reduce costs. The state is investing $700 million in offshore wind supply chain infrastructure while also working with other states and federal agencies to collaborate and reduce costs for a U.S. supply chain.
- Action 7: New York is committed to building and expanding its clean energy workforce.
- Action 8: New York launched the Offshore Wind Master Plan 2.0 in 2022, which will provide a plan for the future of offshore wind development, including in deeper waters, that will allow for the expansion of the industry and ability to meet regional development targets.
- Action 9: New York is actively engaging with industry stakeholders and will increase such outreach following the PSC order through roundtable discussions to receive input in shaping our clean energy strategy.
- Action 10: New York is committed to fostering public engagement, transparency, and collaboration recognizing the importance of involving various stakeholders in shaping the state's clean energy initiatives.
- NY State Awards Two Offshore Wind Projects
- New York State Receives Federal Funding for EV Charging
- NY Completes Installation of Offshore Wind Turbine
- Governor Hochul Announces $12 Million Heat Recovery Program
- NY State to Add Three Offshore Wind, 22 Land RE Projects
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Climate Action Plans and Emissions Reduction Plans Defined
- Zero Energy Building Highlight: Houston Advanced Research Center
- Case Study: Federal Aviation Administration —Oklahoma City, OK
- Electricity 2024: Analysis and Forecast to 2026
- Case Study: Marriott Infrastructure Resilience & Adaptation (MIRA) Program