Energy Storage, GHG Emissions, Industrial, Distributed Generation, Hydro, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - July 23, 2016
Weekend reads: 5 big energy stories you may have missed
Every Saturday, we'll bring you five most interesting — or quirky; it is the weekend after all — energy stories from the prior week that you may have missed from around the web. This weekend's reads:
How Renewable Energy Is Blowing Climate Change Efforts Off Course (The New York Times): Solar and wind produce temporary power gluts that drive out other sources that are needed to maintain stable supplies. Worse, they are helping push nuclear power into bankruptcy.
Apple Car Might Have Already Been Delayed a Year (Fortune): The Apple Car doesn't even technically exist, but it's already been delayed, according to a new report. In a look at brothers working on Apple's ultra-secret car project said to be called Project Titan, technology site The Information revealed that Apple has delayed its vehicle to 2021.
How Popular Is Home Solar Energy? (The Wall Street Journal): More than one million homes now have solar panels, helped by government subsidies and clean energy policies. Falling equipment prices and competition among installers have driven the average price of a home solar system down 10.6% over the past year to $3.21 per watt, or $16,050 for a five-kilowatt solar array. A federal renewable-energy tax credit can shave another 30% off the total cost.
Investors Want Sustainability Disclosures in SEC Overhaul (Bloomberg BNA): Investor advocates are making a strong push for the SEC to require annual, uniform sustainability reporting from public companies as part of the overhaul of the agency's disclosure regime.
Pumped Up: Renewables Growth Revives Old Energy-Storage Method (The Wall Street Journal): Forget about Tesla Motors Inc.'s batteries. The hottest way to store energy in the electricity business today is a century-old technology that involves moving water to stash power.
- Apple, IKEA, Tesla among climate policy leaders
- Weekend reads: Solar outshines fossil fuels; Super green weed & more
- Apple goes global with 100% RE
- Weekend reads: How Apple reached 100% RE; Trump's attack on energy markets & more
- Weekend reads: Why is Trump angry?; Wireless EV recharging coming soon & more
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- A Comparison of Fuel Choice for Backup Generators
- Capturing the Full Value of Renewable Energy for Businesses in ERCOT
- Benchmarking and Transparency: Resources for State and Local Leaders
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report