Commercial, Hydro, Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - October 23, 2017
2017 Green Power Leadership winners announced
The U.S. EPA and the Center for Resource Solutions announced Oct. 23 the winners of the 2017 Green Power Leadership Awards during the Renewable Energy Markets Conference in New York City.
The EPA named Bainbridge Island, Wash., Green Power Community of the Year and both the City of Houston, Texas, and L’Oréal USA as Green Power Partners of the Year. It also awarded Capital One; Clif Bar & Company; Equinix, Inc.; Google, Inc.; Microsoft Corporation; TOTO USA (its Morrow, Ga., facility); University of California and University of Tennessee, Knoxville for excellence in green power use.
Clif Bar & Company received awards from both organizations, one for excellence in green power use by the U.S. EPA and one for leadership in green power education by the Center for Resource Solutions (CRS), according to a full list of the 2017 winners.
“Clif Bar values doing business in a different way with a commitment to Sustaining our Planet as one of the five aspirations that guide our company,” Elysa Hammond, Clif Bar’s vice president of environmental stewardship, said in a statement. “We are honored to be recognized for our efforts to support green power use and help build the climate movement among our employees, suppliers and the public.”
The green power that Clif Bar was recognized for includes projects generating electricity from wind, solar, geothermal, biogas, eligible biomass and low-impact hydro sources. The energy bar company sources almost 16 million kWh of green power annually to power its headquarters, bakeries and satellite office with 100% clean energy, according to a news release.
The EPA also recognized Amphitheater Public Schools; Apple Inc.; Intel Corporation; Iron Mountain Information Management, LLC; Lockheed Martin Corporation; Stanford University; University of Missouri; and Victor Valley Wastewater Reclamation Authority for its direct project engagement.
The awards presentation also included the 2017 CRS Market Development Awards, which recognized Jan Pepper of Peninsula Clean Energy as Green Power Leader of the Year. In addition to Clif Bar, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens and RE-volv were awarded for leadership in Green Power Education.
CRS recognized A Better City, Google Inc., Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Rocky Mountain Power and WGL Energy for green power market development, and it also awarded Apple Inc. for international green power market development.
- Green Power Leadership Awards application period approaching
- Autos ask EPA head to ease fuel economy targets
- EIA: Coal will again be country's largest source of electric generation without Clean Power Plan
- Reports: Trump aims to shutter Energy Star program
- Ceres-led group of businesses appeals to EPA, supports auto-industry standards
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Delta Force - Driving Energy Efficiency at UVA
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Collaboration Enables Merck to Take a Huge, Sustainable Leap Forward