Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - May 15, 2019
Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
Walmart has issued its inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report, which details the company's goals, progress, and achievements for fiscal year 2019 towards its commitment to build sustainability in supply chains and activate climate change initiatives.
“Through ESG initiatives, our goal is not only minimizing our own footprint or mitigating risk but to inspire collective action to help transform the sector for long-term environmental, social and economic sustainability,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, Walmart’s chief sustainability officer. “We’re engaged in efforts to source responsibly, create economic opportunity for retail associates and people working in supply chains, take action on climate change, and help improve sustainability of the products we sell. We believe business exists to serve society, and that when business engages to be part of the solution not only can we help accelerate progress in the world, we make our business better, too.”
Among the successes discussed in the report:
- Project Gigaton - suppliers reported avoiding more than 93 million metric tons of emissions over the last two years
- Using renewable energy - 28% of Walmart's electricity needs are now supplied by renewable sources
- Reducing GHG emissions - Walmart reported a 6.1% reduction in Scopes 1 and 2 emissions
Download the report to explore Walmart's progress.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business
- White paper: Demand-Side Energy Management in the U.S. Manufacturing Industrial Sector
- DE Forum Presentation: How Cinemark makes DERs work, both as a property owner and a tenant
- DE Forum Presentation: Charting a course for DERs at Tyson
- Green Lease Leader: Green Leasing Spurs Efficiency Improvements in Cleveland Businesses and City Building