GHG Emissions, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - September 6, 2019
Penn State sets up solar farm
Pennsylvania State University is working to advance energy sustainability priorities both at the University and in the state with a utility-scale solar project consisting of 150,000 solar panels across three locations in Franklin County, Penn. This large-scale solar farm project, targeted for completion in July 2020, is designed to serve as a national blueprint for maximizing the sustainability impact of solar farming.
The initiative is being financed and built by Lightsource BP, which also will own and operate the program’s three solar farms. Penn State will purchase all of the electricity generated under a 25-year power contract.
The 70-megawatt project supports Pennsylvania's goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 26% by 2025, and generate electricity from solar that will serve to diversify the state’s energy portfolio through locally generated power. The project is estimated to save Penn State at least $14 million over the life of the contract and meet 25% of the University's state-wide electricity needs.
"Penn State's expertise and commitment to research has created profound opportunities for the University to address some of the most pressing economic, environmental and sustainable challenges of our time," said Eric J. Barron, president, Penn State. "We are proud to partner with Lightsource BP on a project that will help the University meet our ambitious goal of lowering greenhouse gas emissions while also saving on our utility costs."
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business