Finance, Sourcing Renewables - May 5, 2020
San Bernardino launches biofuels fuel cell project
The city of San Bernardino, Calif., will soon be receiving clean power from a 1.4 MW biofuels fuel cell project under a 20-year PPA with FuelCell Energy.
The fuel cell technology company will begin constructing the project in partnership with the City of Bernardino Municipal Water Department. The SureSource 1500 power plant will operate on the city’s anaerobic digester gas, which will be used in FuelCell Energy’s system to produce clean electricity and thermal energy for the SBMWD water reclamation plant.
“The FuelCell Energy fuel cell plant will produce renewable energy for the Water Department by using the biogas generated at the Water Reclamation Plant,” SBMWD General Manager Migeul Guerrero said in a statement. “Especially important to our city is the reduction of the flaring of the waste water treatment biogas, which is also a key element in the Department’s compliance plans with the South Coast Air Quality Management District.”
The project is expected to begin operation in December. FuelCell Energy will be financing the construction of the project and any future costs through a previous credit agreement with Orion Energy Partners.
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset