Sourcing Renewables - September 1, 2021
NFI to Deploy 100% Electric Fleet
NFI Industries and Electrify America are teaming up on a massive heavy-duty electric truck charging infrastructure project.
The supply chain logistics company will benefit from Electrify America’s installation of 34 ultra-fast DC chargers. The completed charging network will allow NFI to deploy 60 battery-electric drainage trucks and become the first 100% zero-emission fleet operator and truck stop in California. The Joint Electric Truck Scaling Initiative will fund 50 of these trucks, while Volvo VNR Electrics will provide the remaining 10.
NFI will also receive 150 kW and 350 kW ultra-fast chargers at its facility in Ontario, Calif., to support its growing electric freight truck fleet. The chargers will be supported by distributed energy resources such as solar and energy storage to increase their resiliency and reduce costs.
“As NFI continues to spearhead supply chain sustainability and minimize the industry's environmental impact, many elements need to align to ensure we continue making progress,” Bill Bliem, senior vice president of fleet services at NFI, said in a statement. “Throughout our experience, we've learned that having the right partners, technology, and access to safe, reliable and fast-charging infrastructure are essential to the successful implementation of EVs. We are excited for this opportunity to collaborate with the charging infrastructure experts at Electrify America as we move beyond our demonstration projects and scale our Ontario facility infrastructure to support a 100% electric drayage fleet.”
The installation should be completed by December 2023. Once completed, it would be the largest open DC fast charging network in the U.S.
Electrify America will deploy the charging stations and provide site configuration and energy management services. The project also received funding from a joint project between the California Air Resources Board, California Energy Commission and the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
- Bank of America to install EV charging across eight states
- Love's Travel Stops plans six-state EV charging installation
- Hyundai partners with Electrify America to provide free EV charging to car buyers
- Jeep expands EV access at off-road trailheads
- Battery Storage to Power SMUD’s Path to 2030 Net Zero
- Climate Action Plans and Emissions Reduction Plans Defined
- Zero Energy Building Highlight: Houston Advanced Research Center
- Case Study: Federal Aviation Administration —Oklahoma City, OK
- Electricity 2024: Analysis and Forecast to 2026
- Case Study: Marriott Infrastructure Resilience & Adaptation (MIRA) Program