Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - October 28, 2021
Stonyfield Organic Commits to 100% RE Use at N.H. Manufacturing Site
Stonyfield Organic announced Oct. 27 its commitment to sourcing 100% renewable electricity at its Londonderry, N.H., manufacturing facility by the end of 2022.
The organic yogurt producer will reach this milestone by purchasing RECs and supporting the construction of seven new solar projects in New Hampshire, Minnesota and Wisconsin. This new target date is an acceleration of its previous goal to source 100% renewable electricity for the manufacturing facility by 2025, in addition to 100% renewable electricity for its dairy supply chain by 2025 and a carbon positive dairy supply chain by 2030.
Stonyfield Organic will purchase RECs created by three of the new solar facilities. These credits will cover 75% of the electricity needs of the Londonderry facility, while the company will continue to look for projects to cover the remaining 25% by its 2022 deadline.
In Minnesota and Wisconsin, Stonyfield Organic will work with OneEnergy Renewables on three projects worth over $8 million that will sell electricity to local rural electric cooperatives. These projects should begin commercial operations in November 2021, with the sale of RECs to Stonyfield Organic beginning in December 2021.
The company is also working with Aligned Climate Capital on four projects in New Hampshire that should be operational by January 2022.
“Transitioning our manufacturing facility in Londonderry, NH and the family farms we source from to renewable energy sources is a key part of how we get to our science-based target to reduce our emissions 30% by 2030,” Britt Lundgren, director of Sustainable and Organic Agriculture at Stonyfield Organic, said in a statement. “We’re excited to take this first step towards 100% renewable energy for our Londonderry, NH manufacturing facility ahead of schedule, so we can turn our focus to supporting the farms from which we source our milk directly in making this transition next.”
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers
- Better Plants 2021 Progress Update