Kennametal Lowers Emissions - Smart Energy Decisions

Hydro, Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind  -  September 13, 2023

Kennametal Adopts RE

Kennametal Inc., a company which provides materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions, made reductions in Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions and energy consumption in its fiscal 2023.

The company decreased Scope 1 and 2 GHG intensity by 3.7% and energy intensity by 5.3%.

In India, Kennametal’s  Bengaluru plant sourced 73% of its required electricity along with renewable energy credits (RECs) from an in-country solar farm. The plant has been purchasing RECs since 2018, which has significantly helped lower its Scope 2 GHG emissions from purchased electricity.

The company’s Indaiatuba, Brazil plant is using electricity that is sourced from 100% hydropower while its Victoria, Canada plant is using electricity sourced from over 98% renewable sources, where the majority of the source mix is hydroelectric and a small portion is from wind, solar and biomass. The remaining 2% comes from natural gas, which is only used as backup generation during high-demand periods such as winter months. The plant in Orwell, Ohio, is currently procuring 100% carbon-free nuclear energy for all electricity uses.

In fiscal 2023, 12% of the company's purchased grid electricity for its manufacturing operations in the U.S. was generated from renewable resources. The sources of renewable electricity are primarily hydro, wind, biomass and solar.

Kennametal published details in its fiscal year 2023 Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) report. 

"Our ESG report reflects our commitment to accountability and transparency to key stakeholders and details the progress we have made over the last twelve months," said Christopher Rossi, President & CEO, in a statement. "I am proud of the work our employees have demonstrated in executing our ESG strategy globally, and I look forward to continuing our ESG journey."

« Back to Renewable Energy

  • LinkedIn
  • Subscribe

Smart Energy Decisions Content Partners