Infographic & Video: Data Driven—Advancing a sustainable future
Categories: Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Industrial
Date Published: 3/28/2018
Primary Topic: Energy Efficiency
The amount of data created doubles every two years, with approximately 2% of the U.S.’s electrical energy going to data centers—more energy than most states use. This rapid growth is creating an expanding energy efficiency gap.
"Incremental measures will struggle to keep pace with the steep trajectory of data growth. The industry needs transformative innovations for sustainability to grow alongside the rise of big data," explained Michael E. Garceau, data center business manager at 3M, in a statement. "We’ve proven that immersion cooling can both enable a data-driven future while helping ensure that future is environmentally sustainable. Our society relies on data and technology, but we also need it to be energy efficient."
A new documentary short, “Data Driven. Advancing A Sustainable Future,” launched by 3M, explores how to close this gap to help create a more sustainable data center.
3M has also created an infographic, "Explore cooling without compromises." Traditional data centers use an average of 40% of their energy just on cooling, along with billions of gallons of water. According to 3M experts, the industry has the power to reduce energy consumption by up to 95 percent in data centers with immersion cooling technology. The infographic illustrates how this change can occur through new innovations in heat transfer and thermal management technology.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Interested in our 2018 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum? Check out highlights from the 2017 event in the video below.
- A Model for Sustainability Success: The Ohio State University’s Integrated Energy Solution
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Energy-as-a-Service
- Infographic: UPS powering operations of the future
- Infographic & Video: Data Driven—Advancing a sustainable future
- Infographic: Walmart's Project Gigaton in China
- Infographic: Fifth Third Bank PPA
- Driving Energy Efficiency in the Industry – Seven Years and Counting
- Three Best Practices for Launching a Sustainability Program with Business Partners
- Close collaboration leads to green tariff that works for businesses and utilities
- The Next Generation of Energy Cost Reductions
- Climate action makes (business) sense for U.S. utilities