Infographic & Video: Data Driven—Advancing a sustainable future
Categories: Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Industrial
Date Published: 3/28/2018
Primary Topic: Energy Efficiency
The amount of data created doubles every two years, with approximately 2% of the U.S.’s electrical energy going to data centers—more energy than most states use. This rapid growth is creating an expanding energy efficiency gap.
"Incremental measures will struggle to keep pace with the steep trajectory of data growth. The industry needs transformative innovations for sustainability to grow alongside the rise of big data," explained Michael E. Garceau, data center business manager at 3M, in a statement. "We’ve proven that immersion cooling can both enable a data-driven future while helping ensure that future is environmentally sustainable. Our society relies on data and technology, but we also need it to be energy efficient."
A new documentary short, “Data Driven. Advancing A Sustainable Future,” launched by 3M, explores how to close this gap to help create a more sustainable data center.
3M has also created an infographic, "Explore cooling without compromises." Traditional data centers use an average of 40% of their energy just on cooling, along with billions of gallons of water. According to 3M experts, the industry has the power to reduce energy consumption by up to 95 percent in data centers with immersion cooling technology. The infographic illustrates how this change can occur through new innovations in heat transfer and thermal management technology.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Learn how Toyota North America, in partnership with SunPower, is achieving its goals.
- Case Study: Bloomberg—From RECs to RE100!
- Insights from SED’s Spring Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum
- Infographic: Energy efficiency inside Yum! buildings
- Case Study: Apple, Akamai, Etsy, and Swiss Re partner on largest RE aggregation to date
- Infographic: Starbuck's Greener Stores
- Infographic: Harnessing that Hawaiian sunshine
- Buyer aggregation – additional path for renewable energy purchasers
- We believe in an all-electric future, here’s what we’re doing today to get there
- Ceres encourages better corporate sustainability reporting
- Corporates shatter clean energy sourcing record with more to come
- Levi Strauss & Co. ramps up climate commitments