Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
Categories: Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables
Date Published: 5/15/2019
Source: Walmart Inc.
Primary Topic: GHG Emissions
Walmart has issued its inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report, which details the company's goals, progress, and achievements for fiscal year 2019 towards its commitment to build sustainability in supply chains and activate climate change initiatives.
“Through ESG initiatives, our goal is not only minimizing our own footprint or mitigating risk but to inspire collective action to help transform the sector for long-term environmental, social and economic sustainability,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, Walmart’s chief sustainability officer. “We’re engaged in efforts to source responsibly, create economic opportunity for retail associates and people working in supply chains, take action on climate change, and help improve sustainability of the products we sell. We believe business exists to serve society, and that when business engages to be part of the solution not only can we help accelerate progress in the world, we make our business better, too.”
Among the successes discussed in the report:
- Project Gigaton - suppliers reported avoiding more than 93 million metric tons of emissions over the last two years
- Using renewable energy - 28% of Walmart's electricity needs are now supplied by renewable sources
- Reducing GHG emissions - Walmart reported a 6.1% reduction in Scopes 1 and 2 emissions
Download the report to explore Walmart's progress.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Get Part 2 from Richard Heath plus free thought leadership from experts at Insight Energy
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Future Proof Your Business with integrated Storage, Solar, and Smart EV Charging
- Reader study: Smart Energy Decisions is #1
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Google Environmental Report 2019
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business