Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
Categories: Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables
Date Published: 5/15/2019
Source: Walmart Inc.
Primary Topic: GHG Emissions
Walmart has issued its inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report, which details the company's goals, progress, and achievements for fiscal year 2019 towards its commitment to build sustainability in supply chains and activate climate change initiatives.
“Through ESG initiatives, our goal is not only minimizing our own footprint or mitigating risk but to inspire collective action to help transform the sector for long-term environmental, social and economic sustainability,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, Walmart’s chief sustainability officer. “We’re engaged in efforts to source responsibly, create economic opportunity for retail associates and people working in supply chains, take action on climate change, and help improve sustainability of the products we sell. We believe business exists to serve society, and that when business engages to be part of the solution not only can we help accelerate progress in the world, we make our business better, too.”
Among the successes discussed in the report:
- Project Gigaton - suppliers reported avoiding more than 93 million metric tons of emissions over the last two years
- Using renewable energy - 28% of Walmart's electricity needs are now supplied by renewable sources
- Reducing GHG emissions - Walmart reported a 6.1% reduction in Scopes 1 and 2 emissions
Download the report to explore Walmart's progress.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- 2019 State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- Shining Cities 2019 - The Top U.S. Cities for Solar Energy
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Lockheed Martin of 2025 - Future of Energy Management
- Solar and Electric Vehicles (EVs): What is there to know?
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- What is Efficiency-as-a-Service?
- How to Get Utilities and Regulators to Provide Renewable Energy Options that Work for Your Company
- The business case for a price on carbon
- Solar Tax Credits Are Stepping Down Next Year: What Does This Mean for Corporate Solar Projects?
- Top 3 corporate sustainability trends all business leaders should be watching in 2019