First-Ever Peace REC Transaction Drives Renewable Energy Development in Africa
Type: Case Study
Date Published: 12/14/2020
Microsoft recently executed the first-ever Peace Renewable Energy Credit (P-REC) transaction with Energy Peace Partners and Congolese solar developer, Nuru. 3Degrees facilitated the agreement in which Microsoft purchased P-RECs from a new solar project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which will directly finance the installation of 35 new streetlights in a recently electrified neighborhood of Goma.
- Improve the quality of life with better nighttime visibility and road safety, and enhance neighborhood security
- Support the local economy by allowing businesses to stay open at night
- Improve air quality by reducing reliance on diesel generators, which are both expensive and highly polluting
Download the case study to learn more about this groundbreaking transaction and how it will help improve the lives and safety of the residents of Goma.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- McDonald's 2021-2022 Purpose & Impact Reporting
- Sustainability Strategy: Two Ways to Decarbonize Natural Gas
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- How Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are Changing the Energy Industry