December 14, 2020
First-Ever Peace REC Transaction Drives Renewable Energy Development in Africa
Microsoft recently executed the first-ever Peace Renewable Energy Credit (P-REC) transaction with Energy Peace Partners and Congolese solar developer, Nuru. 3Degrees facilitated the agreement in which Microsoft purchased P-RECs from a new solar project in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which will directly finance the installation of 35 new streetlights in a recently electrified neighborhood of Goma.
- Improve the quality of life with better nighttime visibility and road safety, and enhance neighborhood security
- Support the local economy by allowing businesses to stay open at night
- Improve air quality by reducing reliance on diesel generators, which are both expensive and highly polluting
Download the case study to learn more about this groundbreaking transaction and how it will help improve the lives and safety of the residents of Goma.
- 3Degrees scoops Fortune 500 climate advisory firm
- Bank of America completes long-term agreements for 10 solar projects
- Carbon Credits' Role in Achieving Net Zero, Carbon Neutrality, and SBTi Targets
- VRESF Video: Addressing Residual Emissions on the Path to Net Zero
- Microsoft pursues innovative new RE credits that bring solar power to Africa