Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Storage - March 18, 2019
A Comparison of Fuel Choice for Backup Generators
With increasing severe weather events and disasters triggering greater numbers of costly power outages, there is a growing interest in generators for reliable backup power. As businesses consider backup generators and systems, this research, sponsored by Enchanted Rock, discusses the costs and benefits of various configurations.
In order for decision-makers to make informed choices, the report presents the following:
- An analysis of the economics and reliability of natural gas versus diesel as fuels for backup systems; compares the relative merits of grid-connected backup systems that enable financial benefits when the grid is functioning, versus backup-only systems that only generate energy for critical services when the primary grid is down
- A discussion on how to assign value to the reliability of each system and the revenue streams related to backup generators.
- Examples of backup systems at supermarkets located in Houston, Texas; Camden, New Jersey; and Orlando, Florida.
Download the report to explore all aspects of backup generator configurations:
- Climate Action Plans and Emissions Reduction Plans Defined
- Zero Energy Building Highlight: Houston Advanced Research Center
- Case Study: Federal Aviation Administration —Oklahoma City, OK
- Electricity 2024: Analysis and Forecast to 2026
- Case Study: Marriott Infrastructure Resilience & Adaptation (MIRA) Program