Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - April 29, 2019
How will Hormel make sausages? Solar power.
Hormel Foods Corporation announced the start of construction on a solar energy project on its Swiss American Sausage Company facility in Lathrop, Calif. The project, slated for completion in July, is expected to supply more than 15% of the facility’s annual electricity consumption with roughly 1.2 million kWh per year.
"We place great emphasis on minimizing our environmental impacts when producing food for customers and consumers around the world," said Tom Raymond, director of environmental sustainability at Hormel Foods, in a statement. "This project supports our environmental sustainability goals and is another example of the company's commitment and support of renewable energy."
The project will consist of 1,998 panels constructed on both roof and ground space. IGS Solar will own, operate and maintain the array, while PCI Solar will install the system.
In addition to this project, Hormel Foods also supports the renewable energy markets by subscribing to community solar gardens at five manufacturing locations, including a co-sponsorship with Westar Energy for its first community solar garden near Wichita, Kan., where the company manufactures most of its Hormel® Natural Choice® bacon products. The company also recently announced a VPPA for wind energy in Nebraska.
- Hormel closes in on 50% RE with VPPA
- Chicagoland Speedway to host new solar farm
- Tiffin University adds 240-kW rooftop solar array
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Get Part 2 from Richard Heath plus free thought leadership from experts at Insight Energy
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- Planet Fitness announces 1st solar powered gym
- Weekend reads: CDP's global reach; a 40,000% power price spike
- Microsoft announces 230 MW renewables purchase
- Weekend reads: Solar microgrids in the Bahamas; US gas station ditches oil for EV charging
- SED goes Beyond the Meter with new podcast
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices
- Google Environmental Report 2019
- Webinar replay: Why finance should lead sustainability efforts
- Future Proof Your Business with integrated Storage, Solar, and Smart EV Charging
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society