Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Solar - July 10, 2019
AvalonBay posts LED retrofit savings
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. achieved a $2.3 million savings in annual energy costs from LED lighting retrofits, 6 LEED-certified new development communities and 34 LEED or Energy Star certifications in process as of year-end 2018. AvalonBay has completed 30 LED lighting retrofit projects and plans to finish 32 more in 2019 for a total of more than 165 LED retrofits by the end of the year, reaching 63% of its portfolio.
The company announced these developments with the release of its announced the release of its 2018 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report. Mark Delisi, AvalonBay’s vice president of corporate responsibility, stated that “With our approved Science-Based Targets and commitment to renewable energy, we are establishing AvalonBay as a leader in our sector and supporting the communities where we do business as they work to tackle climate change, reduce emissions and move to a low-carbon future. In addition, our Building Strong Communities philanthropy program achieved another record year of support to non-profit organizations focused on disaster relief, affordable housing, and support for at-risk populations.”
“Our solar strategy began to pay dividends in 2018, with seven completed solar installations producing 777 Kilowatts of power,” said Timothy J. Naughton, chairman and CEO. “We plan to scale these with 26 more in 2019 and 2020, producing an additional 5.8 Megawatts of power."
The company’s demand response and building data program expansion to Boston saw significant results. Boston and New York, combined, created over $400,000 in annual savings from demand response payments and reduced electricity rates. AvalonBay received the Smart Energy Decisions Innovation Award in the category of Commercial Energy Data Management for this SmartKit AI Smart Building Software program. The company noted, “Our associate behaviors show that AvalonBay now has the ability to support utility grid stress with a 2.7 MW reduction. The program will expand further in 2019 to our Washington, DC market and select California and Seattle properties.”
AvalonBay Communities is an equity REIT in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
“Today’s Leaders. Tomorrow’s Heroes.”
Jana Ganion, Blue Lake Rancheria
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Cargill adds 200 MW Illinois solar project to renewables portfolio
- New Platform Enables SED to Move Forward with All 2020 Events
- ADM paves way to reduce emissions 25%, energy intensity 15%
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World