Commercial, GHG Emissions - June 24, 2021
Target Releases 2040 Net Zero Goal
Target announced June 22 its new sustainability strategy and its intention to be a net-zero company by 2040.
The new strategy, called Target Forward, includes a goal for 100% of its owned brand products to be designed for a circular economy by 2040. Its net-zero ambition includes all emissions in both its operations and supply chain and will support its goal to be the “market leader for sustainable brands and experiences” by 2030.
“As a company and a member of the global community, it’s imperative for both the health of our business and of our planet that we embrace new ways to move forward,” Brian Cornell, chairman and chief executive officer of Target, said in a statement. “We know sustainability is tied to business resiliency and growth, and that our size and scale can drive change that is good for all. Target Forward influences every corner of our business, deepens our collaboration with our partners and builds on our past efforts to ensure a better future for generations to come.”
This new report also took a look back at some of Target’s recent sustainability successes, including setting science-based targets in 2019 and the implementation of circular design principles. Additionally, the company is on track to reach its 100% renewable energy goal by 2030, with 50% nearly achieved now through new projects and partnerships.
- Target Tests First Net Zero Energy Store
- Target adds three new RE projects to cover 25% of electricity use
- Target achieves 500 rooftop solar projects ahead of schedule
- McDonald’s, Target, Walgreens honored by DOE
- Target makes 100% RE, emissions reduction commitments
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Smart Energy Decisions Expands Advisory Board
- Weekend Reads: The Payoff of Kauai's Renewables Transition; How States Can Prepare for the EV Boom
- Microsoft Updates Sustainability Goals
- Weekend Reads: The Barrier to Texas's Renewables Transition; Rebranding Bitcoin as Eco-Friendly