GHG Emissions, Industrial - July 19, 2021
IBM Releases Progress Toward 2030 Net-Zero Goal
IBM announced a new target to source 75% renewable electricity by 2025 and 90% by 2030 on its way to achieving net-zero emissions by 2030.
The tech giant announced 21 new, updated or continuing goals related to environmental sustainability, including its ambition to reduce emissions 65% between 2010 and 2025.
In 2020, IBM implemented nearly 1,400 energy conservation projects that resulted in energy savings of 145,500 MWh. The new report sets a new goal to implement 3,000 energy conservation projects to avoid 275,000 MWh of energy consumption between 2021 and 2025.
In pursuit of its renewable energy goal, in 2020 IBM sourced 59.3% renewable electricity, surpassing its 2025 goal of 55%. Additionally, it reduced emissions 56.6% since 2005, surpassing its 2025 goal of 40%.
“We have always considered environmental leadership to be a long-term strategic imperative regardless of short-term business and economic cycles, and regardless of whether the topic is currently popular or not,” Wayne S. Balta, chief sustainability officer, wrote in the report. “After all, it’s relatively easy to go green when so many are watching what a company does. But genuine leadership also involves what a company does when virtually no one is watching. You can depend upon IBM for an unwavering commitment, through thick and thin, substantiated by decades of action and results.”
Specifically in the data management space, one of IBM’s energy goals is to improve data center cooling efficiency 20% between 2019 and 2025 and to reduce power consumption per unit of delivered work with each new server upgrade.
- Case Study: IBM and Lendlease Leverage Green Leasing as Tenants to Achieve Net-Zero
- IBM Updates 2030 Goals
- IBM - Continuing to make a positive environmental impact
- IBM Plans Energy Saving Improvements at Four Sites
- IBM pledges net zero emissions by 2030
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- US Steel Explores Expansion of Low-Carbon Products