Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - April 6, 2023
Google Signs Wind PPA
Google signed a 150 MW power purchase agreement (PPA) for renewable energy generated by Helena Wind Farm for the next 15 years.
Helena Wind Farm is a 268 MW onshore wind farm located in Pawnee, Texas. The project was commissioned in mid-2022 and provides low-cost electricity to the South ERCOT service territory.
This PPA marks the first agreement between Google and Ørsted in the U.S. and the second agreement globally. Both PPAs will contribute to Google’s commitment to operating all of its data centers, cloud regions, and offices on 24/7 carbon-free energy by 2030.
“Building a 24/7 carbon-free energy portfolio requires us to blend various resources to optimize for hourly production, and that’s exactly what this project helps us accomplish” said Sana Ouji, Energy Lead at Google, in a statement. “We’re excited to continue our partnership with Ørsted and add this wind project to our existing solar portfolio in ERCOT as we serve customers out of our Dallas cloud region.”
- Renewable Energy Buyers' Principles adds 6 new participants to growing list of large-scale names
- AEP Energy inks 240 MW wind deal for Google and other Ohio customers
- Google looks to intelligent computing for 24/7 RE supply
- Google to source power for data centers from new Tenn. solar plant
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding