Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Storage, Microgrids, Solar - March 12, 2020
Northern California district plans microgrid with solar and battery storage
The McKinleyville Community Services District in Northern California will be installing a community microgrid at its Hiller Park wastewater treatment plant to provide supplemental power to the area and increase grid resilience.
The District completed an Energy Services Contract Ameresco for the project, who will plan, design, procure, install and commission the microgrid. The system will also be integrating a new solar and battery storage system while incorporating existing diesel generation.
“As part of our community’s broader sustainability efforts, this project creates a pathway for our local wastewater treatment facility to reach net-zero emissions,” MCSD Manager Greg Orsini said in a statement. “By bringing new, clean energy sources on-site and adding battery storage, the facility will produce as much energy as it consumes and be better prepared to withstand potential utility outages in the future.”
The McKinleyville Community Services District currently provides water, wastewater, parks and recreation, library, streetlights and open space maintenance services to around 17,000 people in California. Under this new microgrid management system, Ameresco will use existing dispatchable generation at the wastewater treatment plant to provide supplemental power and further grid resilience.
The microgrid is expected to begin construction this year and will be operated and maintained by Ameresco under a long-term agreement.
- Worcester Housing Authority completes second phase of $23.6M ESPC
- U.S. Navy plans $58 million resiliency project for Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
- City of St. Peter completes $2.6M energy efficiency project
- New Hampshire to implement ESPC across state
- New York school district advances second phase of energy installations
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset