Commercial, Energy Efficiency - June 9, 2020
Green Lease Leaders recognized for building sustainability
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the U.S. DOE’s Better Buildings Alliance announced June 8 the list of 2020 Green Lease Leaders representing more than 3 billion square feet of commercial and government space ranging from large and small offices to industrial buildings and data centers.
The IMT estimates that in the commercial sector, green leasing has the potential to affect 8% of leased space across the country. Additionally, they estimate that green leases can help reduce utility bills by up to approximately 22% in U.S. office buildings alone.
The Green Lease Leader designation is open to commercial, industrial, data centers and retail landlords and tenants, as well as transaction teams (a combination of landlord, tenants or brokers for a single real estate deal). Those who were recognized at the Better Buildings, Better Plants Summit displayed successes in using their green leases to emphasize cost-savings, health, renewable energy and sustainability in their buildings.
“In times of change, we must look to collaborative solutions, and that is exactly what a green, high-performance lease does,” Lotte Schlegel, Executive Director at IMT, said in a statement. “These leases fix split incentives with agreements that save everyone money, improve indoor air quality, and lock in efficient, sustainable, and smart building operations. In aggregate, these leases can spur even greater positive outcomes for our cities and our economy, like cost savings for landlords and tenants, clean energy, decarbonization, local jobs, and closer landlord-tenant relationships.”
The full list of awardees includes:
Landlord – Gold Recognition
- Boston Properties
- Brandywine Realty Trust
- City of Fort Collins, CO
- Clarion Partners
- Digital Realty
- Empire State Realty Trust
- LaSalle Investment Management
- Physicians Realty Trust
- Principal Real Estate Investors
- SL Green Realty Corp.
- STAG Industrial
- Welltower, Inc.
Landlord – Silver Recognition
- Aligned Energy
- First Capital REIT
- Hillsborough County, Tampa FL
- Morgan Stanley
- Regency Centers
- Rexford Industrial Realty, LLP
- Tishman Speyer
Tenant – Gold Recognition
- Latham & Watkins
- State of California
- Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance, Inc.
Team Transaction Recognition
- Kilroy Realty Corporation, Cushman & Wakefield and Allen Matkins
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness