Commercial, Wind - June 15, 2020
Lowe's, Intuit, Brown Univ., Ecolab advance targets with Texas wind farm
A list of corporate and institutional customers that includes Ecolab, Lowe’s, Intuit and Brown University are advancing their individual energy targets and will soon be receiving power from a 419 MW wind farm on which construction was completed June 11.
Ecolab entered into a VPPA with Clearway Energy Group that will cover 100% of their electricity use in the U.S., and the Mesquite Star project will contribute to that clean power. Additionally, Lowe’s contracted 100 MW from the project, which will generate enough energy to power the equivalent of all 143 Lowe’s stores in Texas.
“This aggregated power agreement is a true testament to the type of longstanding collaboration and partnerships needed to make a dent in the uphill battle against climate change,” Sean Kinghorn, Global Sustainability Program Manager at Intuit, said in a statement. “The innovative structure of Mesquite Star allowed Intuit to hit our 100% renewable electricity goal 10 years early, enabling our team to launch a new climate positive goal to speed up the transition to a low carbon future. Mesquite Star is a powerful example of how energy groups, corporations and communities can work together to reduce our carbon footprint.”
Lastly, the power Brown University will receive from the wind farm is expected to offset 30% of campus electricity and cut net campus emissions by 15%.
The Mesquite Star wind project was developed in Fisher County, Texas by Clearway, with construction by Blattner Energy and wind turbines supplied by Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy. The large-scale customers have had long-term power agreements with the project since it was in the early stages of development.
- Two new solar and battery systems completed in Massachusetts
- Boston Scientific inks VPPA for 42 MW community solar project
- Duquesne University forms partnership to improve efficiency and reliability
- Lowe’s signs first RE agreement
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset
- Apple's 2020 Environmental Progress Report