Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - December 2, 2020
Vail Resorts to achieve 93% renewable electricity by 2023
Vail Resorts announced Dec. 1 that it will be 93% powered by renewable electricity across all its resorts by 2023 through some key deals that the company recently completed.
The ski resort operator is currently pursuing its previously announced, long-term goal of reaching a zero net operating footprint by 2030, including being powered by 100% renewable energy. Most recently, Vail Resorts signed on to receive power from the 80 MW Elektron Solar project, which will provide 100% of the electricity needs of its Park City Mountain property, the largest of Vail’s American resorts.
This new agreement follows one from July, in which Vail Resorts completed a PPA with the Plum Creek Wind project to cover 90% of the electricity at its North American resorts. The two projects combined will allow it to cover 93% of all its electricity needs across its resorts with renewable energy within the next two or three years.
“Despite this year’s unexpected challenges due to COVID-19, our values have not wavered,” CEO Rob Katz said in a statement. “That includes Do Good, our commitment to preserving the environment and supporting our employees and the communities in which we operate. We’ve made great strides in reaching our bold sustainability goals, including perhaps our most challenging pillar of Commitment to Zero—zero waste to landfill. Across the company, it has been an inspiration to watch our employees stay focused on achieving our sustainability goals while working hard to keep our guests and each other safe.”
Vail Resorts is targeting zero emissions by 2030 and set an interim target of 50% for 2025. In its new EpicPromise Progress Report, the company also reported that it is on track to reach its energy efficiency goals through investments in things like high-efficiency snow guns, $600,000 for the installation of LED lighting across several resorts and energy audits at all three Tahoe resorts.
- Vail Resorts Meet 100% Renewable Electricity Goal
- Ski Industry Leaders Join Together on Climate Initiatives
- Vail Resorts to cover 90% of electricity with new wind farm
- Vail Resorts commits to zero
- Vail Resorts targets zero net emissions, 100% RE
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- Volvo Seeks to Lower Each Car's Emissions by 75%
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint