Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - February 4, 2019
DHL expands green fleet with e-vans
DHL is preparing to roll out a new fleet of 63 electric delivery vans to serve U.S. markets as part of its mission to reduce emissions. The company has set a target of operating 70% of first- and last-mile delivery services with clean transport modes by 2025 as part of its longer-term corporate commitment to reduce its logistics-related emissions to zero by 2050. These new vehicles add to the company's alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) fleet, which includes fully electric, hybrid-electric, compressed natural gas (CNG) and clean diesel.
“Throughout the United States, DHL has proactively sought opportunities in select markets where we can implement AFV fleets that will help us reach our clean transport goals while continuing to provide a superior service experience," said Greg Hewitt, CEO of DHL Express U.S. "This year alone, nearly 30% of our new vehicles will be alternative fuel. We're excited about the technologies that continue to emerge in this area and how they are benefiting the logistics industry."
The fleet of 63 NGEN-1000 electric delivery cargo vans are produced by equipment manufacturer Workhorse Group and are capable of running up to 100 miles on a charge. The vans have ultra-low floors to reduce physical stress on workers' knees and back, and a high roof design that maximizes cargo space in a small footprint (1,008 cubic feet of cargo capacity). DHL will roll out the first 30 NGEN-1000 electric delivery cargo vans in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In March 2017, Deutsche Post DHL Group, the parent company of DHL Express, announced the creating of an environmental protection program called GoGreen to achieve its 2050 net-zero goal. Among the interim milestones to be met by 2025 are:
- Increasing the carbon efficiency of its own activities and those of its transport subcontractors by 50% compared with a 2007 baseline
- Operating 70% of its own first- and last-mile services with clean pickup and delivery solutions, such as by bike and electric vehicle
- Generating more than 50% of sales from products and services incorporating Green Solutions
- Training and certifying 80% of its employees as GoGreen specialists and involve them in its environmental and climate protection activities.
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019