Commercial, GHG Emissions - September 15, 2020
Facebook to be net-zero in entire value chain by 2030
Facebook announced Sept. 14 a new target to achieve net-zero emissions in their entire value chain, including their suppliers and business travel, by 2030.
The social media giant plans to achieve this goal by working with their suppliers directly to achieve their own carbon goals and by contributing to the development of new carbon removal technologies.
The company reported that they will achieve net-zero carbon emissions and be 100% supported by renewable energy by the end of 2020. Additionally, they are on track to reduce operational emissions by 75% in 2020 compared to a 2017 baseline.
Facebook also announced the new Climate Science Information center to connect Facebook users with science-based information on the Facebook platform. The space will provide resources from the world’s leading climate organizations and details on steps the public can take to help combat climate change. The platform will feature information from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and their global network of partners, including the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), World Meteorological Organization (WMO), The Met Office and others.
“Climate change is a crisis we will only be able to address if we all work together on a global scale” the company wrote in a statement. “We are taking important steps to reduce our emissions and arm our global community with science-based information to make informed decisions and tools to take action. We hope these efforts demonstrate that Facebook is committed to playing its part and helping to inspire real action in our community.”
- Power Forward 2.0: How American Companies Are Setting Clean Energy Targets and Capturing Greater Business Value
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Facebook’s first direct investment in RE; Shell to share RECs
- Facebook signs PPA to power TX ops
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook