Energy Efficiency, Microgrids, Commercial, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - January 25, 2019
Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
Led by a trio of energy and sustainability experts from Merck, Smart Energy Decisions announces the final agenda, speakers, and confirmed sponsors for the 2019 Innovation Summit, an invitation-only event set for March 11-13 at the Houstonian in Houston, Texas.
With “The Future of Energy Management” as the theme, the third annual Innovation Summit, designed and programmed with guidance from the Smart Energy Decisions advisory board, will address forward-looking topics focused on all aspects of the corporate energy management supply chain from procurement through demand management.
Programming includes a unique blend of keynote presentations, panel discussions, private boardroom briefings and one-to-one meetings with suppliers: to help attendees learn from best practices, make new connections and discover solutions that will help improve their company's results and reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions.
The Summit will kick off with a keynote presentation, “Collaboration enables Merck to take a huge, sustainable leap forward” by a team from Merck that includes George Mahoney, director, Global Energy Center of Excellence, Michael Waslin, senior engineer, environmental sustainability, and Douglas Yunaska, associate director, Global Energy. The trio will discuss Merck’s interdisciplinary role to energy and sustainability management.
A panel discussion to explore “Approaches to employee engagement in energy management” will feature Dr. Wolfgang Bauer, distinguished professor & senior consultant, Michigan State University; David Reid, global energy and productivity leader, Celanese Corp.; David Templeman, director - environmental, health & safety, CBS Corp., and will be moderated by Ali Ahmed, principal, Green Strategies LLC.
Additional keynotes and executive interviews include:
- Strategies for managing risk in energy operations, presented by Ken Cowan, vice president, solutions sales and marketing, ENGIE
- Lockheed Martin 2025: The future of energy management, Devan Tracy, Senior Energy Engineer, Lockheed Martin
- Executive interview: Unlocking the value of connected buildings, Will Coleman, CEO, Lucid
- Delta Force – Driving energy efficiency at UVA, Jesse Warren, Sustainability Program Manager – Buildings & Operations, University of Virginia
- Panel: Energy Portfolio Financial Management, with Denis George, senior leader – enterprise sourcing at The Kroger Co,; Michal Shepard, director of maintenance, energy, and engineering at Harris Teeter, LLC, and Brad Christensen, managing director of risk management products, Calpine Energy Solutions
- The evolution of sustainable operations at Bloomberg, Michael Barry, head of sustainable business operations, Bloomberg LP
- Executive interview: Breaking the Mold - a new business model for power reliability, Allan Schurr, chief commercial officer, Enchanted Rock LLC, John Failla, founder and editorial director, Smart Energy Decisions.
- Panel: Innovative approaches to pursuing renewable energy goals with Sam Castor, EVP of policy, deputy general counsel, Switch; Ramé Hemstreet, VP operations, national facilities services and chief energy officer, Kaiser Permanente, and Erin Craig, VP energy and climate practice, 3Degrees (moderator)
- Executive interview: How energy markets are evolving for renewables with NRG Energy
Special preconference sessions for energy and sustainability executives include a workshop, “Getting started in RE sourcing,” led by Bryce Smith, founder and CEO of LevelTen Energy, and “Resiliency microgrid as a service at HEB,” an exclusive site visit to HEB grocery store’s facility led by Enchanted Rock.
The Summit will conclude with a gala dinner to celebrate winners of the second annual Smart Energy Decisions Innovation Awards. This program was created last year to recognize the individual and collective efforts of large electric power users, their suppliers, and their utilities in support of the energy transformation currently taking place.
Leading the group of industry suppliers at the Innovation Summit is ENGIE North America as presenting sponsor. Platinum sponsors include 3Degrees, Enchanted Rock, Calpine Energy Solutions, Lucid, and NRG Energy. Gold sponsors are Direct Energy, MC Group, LevelTen Energy, Cpower, Siemens, Recurrent, Duke Energy One, Community Energy, Constellation, EDF, REC Solar, Schneider Electric, and TransAlta. Orrick, Silicon Ranch, Apex Clean Energy, EMC Lighting Group, Edison Energy, Enel Green Power, Tradewind, SunPin, Enerparc, Potential, Savant, Illumetek, and Geronimo Energy are silver sponsors.
Attendance at the 2019 Innovation Summit is limited to qualified energy, sustainability, and facility management executives and supplier sponsors. To learn more about the event, visit the Summit website. Interested energy management and sustainability executives can submit an application to attend at this link and interested suppliers interested can submit an application here.
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!